Monday, July 25, 2011

Playing croquet with a flamingo: slots we love and hate

This post represents the end of my Vegas Adventure. I’m sure many have thought why the Alice in Wonderland theme? Frankly I felt it worked on many levels, the least of which was it was the theme of a slot machine we tried.

Ahh the slot machines those we’ve played and loved and those we scorn. No one should ever approach gambling thinking “big win” particularly from a slot machine. Better to think of them as mindless entertainment while waiting for the cocktail server. Bottom line I don’t expect to win big although an occasional small win so I can continually break even and keep playing is nice.

The fore mentioned Alice was one I came to scorn. I put a $20 into the machine and it was gone without so much a wham, bam thank you ma’am. Heaven knows I’ve done my share of chasing bonuses, just look at my track record with Bewitched or I Love Lucy. Alice gave me a bonus however it was dumb, pointless and completely forgetful. At first I thought I was missing something so I turned to the LMF and she was just as dumbstruck as I was. I don’t expect much but a little thematic thought and fun is appreciated from the game as I’m sucking down my precious $20 Corona.

As far as new themes and machines…I did enjoy the Lord of the Rings one. Multiple bonus features that paid decently and were entertaining. The random bonuses came up often enough giving you a sense of the story and accomplishment. One other nice feature if you used your player’s card you could save the game and come back and pick up the adventure at your last point in the game, assuming you played at the same player’s club properties. Since these days two players club cards will let you play and many of the joints on the strip that isn’t a problem.

Harkening back to my youth was a new Star Trek themed machine…I don’t remember the bonus round in the previous edition, but this one proved to be a tad addictive in part because of the community bonus round it provided. It was based on both your progress in the game and a time factor (about every 12 mins. or so.) It’s hard not to have fun when you are helping the likes of Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock save the universe from those pesky Romulans. Sadly, there were no tribbles for my gaming troubles but plenty of Romulan Ale to be had.

I also enjoyed the Wizard of Oz slot. The last time I was in town The Wicked Witch always managed to drop a house on my fun…however this trip Glenda appeared to be in charge. I’m big on the ruby slippers theme (I own several pairs myself). I just wished mine worked on matters of extending weekends and reducing the need to do domestic chores, Dorothy’s were a tad more profitable and paid for the likes of Alice and her White Rabbit.

Otherwise we found stray machines that were favorites from the past including Money to Burn, Jackpot party, the Munsters, I Dream of Jeannie, Fortune Cookie, Catch a Wave & Hex. All were nickel machines that played between 7-15 lines that provided a lot of play but sadly few beers because the cocktail servers were few and far between. They also didn’t pay off that well so we were also unable to even purchase our beer from the slot profits as we have done in the past.

I found table games to be a bit out of my league this visit. While I admit by most standards my budget is more guppy sized as compared to that of a whale but I do like spending some time at the table games. I love Blackjack and have previously played while in Vegas and other gambling venues without too much pain to my pocket; however, when hands cost $10 M-Th and $15 each on the weekend, I frankly I chose not to afford it. I am not frugal but I didn’t wish to potentially blow my gambling and beer budget in a night or two either. I found a nickel slot that allowed me to play at 25 cents a hand and I walked away more than once breaking even or a dollar or two ahead but alas there was no Pia Gow this trip.

Bottom line I was unable to meet all my expenses this trip; however, I did manage to come home with more than 50% of my grubstake intact. I’m also pleased to announce the daily beer budget outspent the daily food budget…thus the lower profit margin overall ;-) I think most would agree that’s a winner’s trip in anybody’s book.

Thanks for coming along, I hope you will stay around for the next adventure whatever it may be. Please stay tuned…later today I’ll drop another message that concerns my intention for the future of this blog.

No comments: